Post Published on July 18, 2015.
Last Updated on April 29, 2016 by davemackey.
There are things I review on my blog that I think everyone will love and then there are things I post here that I think some people will love…this one is for the some people, not everybody. (It has a 5.4/10 on IMDb but only 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.)
I love slapstick comedy (think Home Alone, Baby’s Day Out, etc.) but there is very little of it being produced these days (if you are aware of some good ones I should be watching – let me know!). Mom’s Night Out falls into this category. I laughed so hard I almost cried. Sheila, my mom, and two of my sisters (Faith and Mary) were all watching it with me, I don’t think any of them enjoyed it quite as much as I did…though they may have enjoyed it more because of my near-tears laughing antics.
Mom’s Night Out is a Christian movie in the sense that it was made by Christians, but it is not a Christian movie in the sense of proselytizing. This film is funny and heart-warming and its take-away is a bit over-the-top, but hey, don’t most comedies have one of these at the end anyways?
Okay, now on to some geeky stuff I like to share and probably nobody reads… 🙂
I always like to see who they were able to line up for a movie and what they were in before…this film has some fairly well-known talent including Sarah Drew, Sean Astin, Patricia Heaton, and David Hunt.
There are also several significant actors from the Christian film industry – which are likely known by those who watch these films and not by the larger world. These include: Andrea Logan White, Alex Kendrick, Jason Burkey, and Kevin Downes.
- Sarah Drew – Grey’s Anatomy, Everwood, Mad Men.
- Sean Astin – The Lord of the Rings, Goonies, Rudy.
- Patricia Heaton – Everybody Loves Raymond, The Middle.
- Trace Adkins – Better known for his country music, he was in film The Lincoln Lawyer.
- David Hunt – The Dead Pool.
- Andrew Logan White – Perhaps better known as the wife of prolific actor David A.R. White.
- Abbie Cobb – Suburgatory, Secret Life of an American Teenager.
- Harry Shum Jr. – Glee.
- Alex Kendrick – Facing the Giants, Courageous.
- Sammi Hanratty – Salem, Chosen, The Unit, Pushing Daisies.
- Anjelah Johnson – MADtv.
- Manwell Reyes – Group 1.
- Jason Burkey – October Baby, Rumors of Wars, Hindsight.
- Kevin Downes – The Moment After, Mercy Streets, Thr3e, Courageous.
- Robert Amaya