Tech News Summary – June 21st, 2013.
So, I’ve been writing these news summaries, but I really want to move them off daveenjoys and onto a dedicated site – similar to the one I used to run (Informed Networker). There are several viable software applications available for this task – Hotarucms, Pligg, and Reddit (its underlying source code is open source). There is also the possibility of custom creating an application.
I’d like to make it open to the public by “invitation only” for story submission…This would keep the spammers out and would let the network grow slowly yet efficiently with more and more qualified members.
In the meantime, I’m still posting here, but if others have thoughts on this topic – I’m eager to hear them.
- “Free 5nine V2V Easy Converted with Extended Logging is Out.” – You’d think migrating from VMWare to Hyper-V would be a piece-of-cake, but it isn’t. 5nine has a nice little app which they’ve just updated which I found sometimes works when Microsoft’s tools seem to fail – and vice versa (Microsoft works when 5nine fails), so add this tool to your utility belt, it is worthwhile (and free).
- Emily Kramer, Greg Slovacek, Andrew Watterson. “Add Tasks From Any Webpage With The Asana Chrome Extension.” Asana Blog.
- Andrew Nacin. “WordPress 3.5.2 Maintenance and Security Release.” WordPress News.
- Aditi Pai. “Withings Commercially Launches Pulse, Its First Activity Tracker.” mobihealthnews.
- Jonah Comstock. “Sway Nabs $750K For FDA-Cleared Balance Assessment App.” mobihealthnews.
- Dan Goodin. “Facebook Squashes Bug That Exposed E-Mail Addresses For 6 Million Users.” Ars Technica.
- Jordan Novet. “Google Lets Developers Try Building Applications With On-Premise Version Of App Engine.” GigaOm.
- Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai. “Revealed: British Spy Agency Secretly Taps Global Communications.” Mashable.
- Kevin Fitchard. “Project Loon: Google’s Biggest Obstacle Isn’t Technology. It’s Politics.” GigaOm.
- Rebecca Grant. “Soylent Crowdfunding Campaign Attracts $755K So People Can Survive Without Food.” VentureBeat.
- Melanie Pinola. “FitDesk Tabletop Standing Desk Raises Your Laptop and Massages You.” Lifehacker.
- Catherine Shu. “Thankful Registry Is A Wedding Gift Registry For Thoughtful Couples.” TechCrunch.
- Sean Ludwig. “Tesla Motoros’ 90-Second Battery Swapping Tech Is Faster Than Filling a Gas Tank (Video).” VentureBeat.
- Matt Asay. “NSA Concedes Hadoop Beats Its Pricey Alternatives.” readwrite.
- Jason Hiner. “The First Ten Android Apps A Professional Should Download.” ZDNet.
- Charlie Osborne. “Samsung To Retire The Galaxy S3 Early, Cut S4 Production.” ZDNet.
- Brian Fagioli. “Samsung ATIV Q — Android And Windows 8 Get Married.” BetaNews.
- Bonnie Wertheim. “This $79 Sensor Could Keep Your Stress In Check.” Mashable.
- Rebecca Grant. “Lumosity Analyzes Brain Function Of 40M People To Push Neuroscience Forward.” VentureBeat.
- Derrick Harris. “How Saga Bypassed GPS To Log Your Life Without Killing Your Battery.” GigaOm.
- Frederic Lardinois. “New Bing Experiment Adds Curated Lists Of Links, Images And Videos From Experts To Search Results.” TechCrunch.
- Natasha Lomas. “Tile Wants You To Stop Losing Important Stuff With Its Bluetooth Tags Plus App Combo.” TechCrunch.
- Kevin Fitchard. “How Free Mobile Is Using Femtocells To Build A Mobile Network With Millions Of Nodes.” GigaOm.
- Mike Williams. “Comodo Unveils New Versions Of Internet Security, Firewall And Antivirus.” BetaNews.
- Leo Widrich. “Why We Should Rethink The Eight-Hour Workday.” Lifehacker.