Post Published on February 9, 2014.
Last Updated on April 29, 2016 by davemackey.
Goodness gracious, there are like a billion different cat foods out there – it is so overwhelming! Even just by a single company there seems to be endless variations! I had recently been fairly happy with the Goodlife Recipe with Chicken Food for Indoor Cats (14 lbs) but then it shot up to the outrageous price of $50+. Maybe this is only a temporary issue with Amazon’s supply – but for now, with a doubling in price, there is no way I’m buying it.
So, here I am, yet again looking for cat food. I have four cats – one that has an eating disorder and will continue eating till she vomits, continuing eat, vomit, and repeat forever. Two of the other cats have sensitive stomachs and a lot of cat food doesn’t seem to agree with them.
I’ve spent a little while on Amazon and here is what I’ve narrowed my options down to…I’ll probably end up trying a few before I find one that works well with my sensitive cats (the only way to deal with the eating disordered one is portion control) and this will give me a list to come back to and hopefully help others who are trying to decide on a cat food narrow down their selections from the hundreds of options available.
I’ve selected the foods based on brand name, customer reviews, price, weight, ingredients, and so on.
- Meow Mix Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food – 14.2 lbs – $11.88 – Prime Available.
- 9Lives Seafood and Poultry Wet Cat Food Variety Pack 24/5.5-Ounce Cans – 8.25 lbs. – $9.48 – Prime Available.
- Eagle Pack Natural Pet Food, Indoor Formula for Cats – 12 lbs – $25.47 – Prime Available – Subscribe & Save Available ($21.65).
- Hill’s Ideal Balance Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Mature Adult Cat Food Bag – 15 lbs – $31.24 – Prime Available – Subscribe & Save Available ($26.55).
- Max Indoor Adult Roasted Chicken Flavor Cat Food – 16 lbs – $20.99 – Prime Available .
- Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Cats, Indoor Hairball Control Chicken Formula – 18 lbs – $26.47 – Prime Available.
- Natural Balance Dry Cat Food, Reduced Calorie Formula – 15 lbs – $27.46 – Prime Available.
I’m going to try Hill’s Ideal Balance Natural Chick and Brown Rice Recipe first. The price is reasonable, and becomes more reasonable with Subscribe & Save and I like the fact that in addition to being all-natural it doesn’t contain any corn, wheat, or soy. We’ll see how it goes…
2 thoughts on “Trying to Make Sense of Cat Food.”
So how’d it go with the cat food? Which one worked out best for your cats? My cats have similar issues……
I ended up using Purina ONE Sensitive Systems. This didn’t seem to help much…I started using some spray-on probiotics which did seem to help a lot, but in more recent months seem to have lost effectiveness. 🙁